Sep/13/12 08:08 AM Filed in: Jonathan Vilma
NEW ORLEANS -- The NFL filed court documents Friday showing that suspended linebacker Jonathan Vilma initially agreed to a new hearing on the New Orleans Saints' "bounty" scandal with Commissioner Roger Goodell last month, before Vilma's lawyers and the players union talked him out of it.
The documents were filed in response to a federal judge's order asking the NFL Players Association to address possible conflicts of interests between union lawyers and three suspended players they represent: New Orleans defensive end Will Smith, Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita and free agent defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove.
The NFL did not take a position on the matter, but said it filed the documents about the scuttled Vilma hearing because the NFLPA provided information that was "neither accurate nor complete" when it filed arguments Thursday that there was no conflict.
Vilma has his own attorneys, but documents show the NFLPA discouraged all four suspended players from participating in any rehearing without certain conditions that the league refused to meet.
The NFL wanted the meeting to occur in the form of a new hearing in the bounty matter, with testimony entered on the record. Lawyers for Vilma and the union wanted it to occur in the form of confidential settlement discussions which could not be entered as evidence in any related lawsuits.
The documents show that Vilma wrote on Aug. 20 that he would meet with Goodell on Aug. 23, and that Vilma traveled to New York for the meeting before pulling out on the same day the meeting was scheduled.
Earlier this week, U.S. District Judge Ginger Berrigan lamented the failure of settlement talks and wrote she was concerned there were competing agendas among lawyers on all sides in the dispute that were undermining the interests of the players.
The judge asked whether or not it made more sense for Smith, Fujita and Hargrove to have separate lawyers, rather than the same lawyers representing the NFLPA.
The players told the judge in documents filed Thursday that they were comfortable with union representation.
The NFLPA and the four players are claiming in their consolidated lawsuits that Goodell abused his authority and followed improper procedures in disciplining the players for a program that paid improper cash bonuses for tackles that injured opponents. The lawsuit seeks to have the punishment handed down by Goodell thrown out.
Vilma was suspended the entire 2012 regular season, Hargrove for eight games, Smith for four games and Fujita three games.
All four players have asked for a temporary restraining order that would allow them to rejoin their clubs while the case proceeds.
Berrigan has yet to rule on the TRO request, but could potentially do so before the Saints and Browns open the regular season Sunday.